Long jump is a sport, but exercise is essential for school children. Find out the secrets of long jump technology that will allow you to take first place in any competition. Classic long jump from the ground is an independent competition in the delivery of standards in physical education in schools, is often a part of sports science, or is performed as a particular exercise for the coordinated development of the athlete. It must bear in mind that long jump skills should not be limited to practical knowledge.
This exercise is a great way to develop speed-strength, sprint, and jumping skills. Today we will focus on the proper technique to perform a long jump from place to place. We will also identify critical errors and ways to eliminate them. In addition, you will receive advice on how to plan the right exercises.
Standards for long jump
Before we talk about the technique of performing the long jump from the ground, let’s look at the main characteristics of this exercise. Every person from the time they exercised at school knows that the activity is performed due to simultaneous separation from the surface of the starting legs, and it is necessary to overcome the most significant distance in flight.
After contact with the ground, you must straighten up and leave the landing area. After that, the jump length along the perpendicular between high takeoff and landing is measured. In addition, the point of contact is closest to the landing site with any part of the athlete’s body to obtain an objective assessment of the physical form of the jumper.
Special standards have been created for different age groups:
- School children aged 8-10 years – 120-160 centimeters;
- School children aged 11-15 – from 150 to 200 centimeters;
- Men and adolescents aged 16-30 from 200 to 240 centimeters.
For the representatives of the beautiful half of humanity, the age groups are unchanged, and the standards fall by ten percent compared to boys and men.
Technique for performing long jump from a standing position
Let’s take a closer look at the technique of performing the long jump from place to place in stages.
Preparation for jump (takeoff)
It is the first step, which involves taking a starting position. It is an important milestone, as the push’s intensity and the exercise’s overall result largely depend on it.
To get in the correct position, you must follow these steps:
- Stand at the starting line.
- The legs should be at shoulder level.
- Lift your arms, rise simultaneously on your toes, and bend your lower back.
- Hands go down and slightly back. Must bend The elbow joints to push the body forward.
- Feet are placed all over the foot.
- Bend your knees and hips so that they are on your toes.
This step must be performed immediately after the previous one without stopping at the moment when the body is still moving downwards from inertia, and the hip joints have already started to bend. Throw your arms forward towards the jump.
Let us consider the second stage of long jump technology in more detail:
- Throw your arms forward.
- Pull the hips forward.
- Extend your knee.
- Lift your feet off the ground.
Fly and land
With the athlete in the air, pull your knee to your chest and stretch your body in a straight line. When the flight stage is completed, the arms need to be lowered, and the legs appear. After that, there is contact with the ground, and the athlete lands.
Here are all the movements that a jumper needs to perform during flight and landing:
- When in contact with the ground, it is necessary to extend your arms to facilitate balance.
- The knees are bent so that the dock is elastic and thus reduces the load on the ligament equipment.
- When the forklift has landed, it should straighten out and leave the area where the lift is being carried out.
A little explanation is needed here to get the best results. Remember that it is strictly forbidden to land on the right foot as it can lead to knee injuries. Also, it would help if you first calculated all the levels of technology to perform the long jump from a standing position specifically that we have considered. After that, combine them and continue to train the whole exercise.
The main mistake is when making a long jump from a place.
Most often, novice athletes and schoolchildren do not learn the technique well enough and therefore make the following mistakes:
- Arms and legs do not move constantly;
- Feet fall too early;
- Knees and hips are not fully extended;
- Small swing hand movements;
- When in contact with the ground, the jumper drops.
I want to remind you of the importance of high-quality warm-ups for training. It is essential to the whole cycle and will help you avoid injuries. When discussing ways to eliminate long-distance jumping mistakes, the most common reasons for unsatisfactory results should be reviewed – insufficient strength of the leg and shoulder muscles and poor physical fitness.
If you think everything is fine with your power parameters, but you want to jump further, use the following suggestions:
- Take full responsibility for learning how to perform the long jump.
- Strengthen your upper body muscles with strength training.
- Train other types of jumping: high, triple, running, etc.
- Run cross.
- Exercise daily to stretch your muscles.
- Monitor your results and make appropriate changes to your training plan to improve them.
Technology for performing triple jumps from place to place
Let’s look at another type of long jump from place to place – triple. Note that he can perform this type of long jump from the beginning of the run and is on the agenda of all freestyle competitions.
The triple jump technique can be divided from the local to the following levels:
- Get started with two legs.
- Flight is the first step.
- Another rejection.
- Flight in the second step.
- Third rejection.
- Land on your feet.
When performing triple jumps, you must alternate legs alternately – push from two legs – left leg – right – left – land on two legs. When you first start with two legs, you need to perform the same operations that are provided for the technique of performing a long jump from a position. Then you need to throw one leg forward and bend it at the knee. Make sure the tibia is facing down and slightly forward.
At this point, the second leg slightly bent at the knee, should be left behind (the flight step in the first step). Afterward, the athlete lands on the forefoot with a “rake” movement, and the back is moved forward with a sharp swinging motion. Then the second pushing movement is performed.
The flight stage begins in the second step, but already from the second stage. After that, the third pressure is implemented thanks to the implementation of a new “rake” movement. In the last third flight, the jumper should pull the jogging foot to the flywheel, bend it at the knee and move it closer to the chest. Then the landing is performed according to the technique of performing a long jump from a position.
To achieve maximum results in the triple jump from place to place, it is necessary to perform takeoff and swing movements with total activity. Extend the flight step and do not lower the swing leg to the ground quickly after takeoff.
The technique of performing the long jump from a race
The long jump from the race is also a strenuous exercise in terms of technique. The main difficulty of the training is that it consists of several steps that are not repeated. The athlete must complete all levels with maximum power to achieve top results.
In all jumps, it is customary to distinguish four stages – takeoff, takeoff, flight, and landing. Note that in flight, you can use three types of jumps: with bent legs, bending over, and “scissors.”
Several factors are essential to get the maximum result:
- Try to reach the maximum speed during the race and maintain it when pushing;
- When pushed, the athlete must be able to change the horizontal movement of the body to the required angle while maintaining the takeoff speed;
- Continue to match the chosen movement method during flight and prepare for landing;
- Before contact with the ground, it is necessary to extend the legs as far as possible and try to prevent them from falling.
Men typically use 50 meters distance for takeoff and women – from 35 to 40. it allows you to reach a maximum speed of 99 percent before taking off. However, the space for the race is an individual parameter, and each athlete must choose it himself.
Today’s professional jumpers use one of three ways to change their walking speed:
- Gradual increase in speed from the start of the takeoff run and a significant increase in velocity before pushing.
- A significant increase in speed in the middle of the takeoff run and a so-called “free run” before starting.
- A quick start by maintaining increased speed in the middle of the takeoff distance and a significant increase in velocity before takeoff.
The third method is the most popular as it allows you to reach top speed. In flight, the athlete is faced with maintaining balance and creating an optimal landing starting position. Despite the simplicity, the flight phase seems very difficult and, to a large extent, affects the result of the whole exercise.
We have already said that there are three ways to perform a long jump from a race, but some athletes combine several scissors and turning elements. It should note that very often, this yields great results. Of course, this complicates the technology of the whole development because it is easier to master one method than to combine several elements. Remember that you cannot land on the right foot to avoid injuring the knee. You must prepare for serious work to learn how to perform the exercise technically correctly.